skip to main content

Images of hallway

Who is my School Counselor?

Students are assigned counselors alphabetically based on the first letter of the student's last name. If your student has 2 last names we use the students first last name in order to assign them a counselor. Below you will find a breakdown of the Counselor's case loads.

A - Cr           
Rochelle Richman Culbreath                           
Jada Wysocki
Hu - Mt          
Melisa Plants       
Mu - Sh  
Victor Valdez
Si - Z    
Jessica Isern (Department Chair)

What does "weighted GPA" mean?

Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate classes, earned with a grade of C or better, are weighted in the high school grade point average. This means an extra point is added in computing the average. Honors*, AP and most IB** courses where students earn an A, receive 5 grade points, B’s receive 4, while C’s receive 3. D’s and F’s are not given any extra grade points.T
The UC and CSU systems limit the number of weighted grades taken in 9th and 10th grade that they will count
in the GPA they use for admission purposes.

*Please note that Honors English 9 and 10 are not weighted, Honors Trigonometry IS weighted.

** All of our IB courses are weighted on our transcript, with the exception of IB Math, IB Biology HL1 and IB Theory of Knowledge.

Will a college course be placed on my transcript?

Community college and college level classes are not placed on the high school transcript since they were not taken at our school. However, these courses are allowed to be added to the Pleasant Valley High School transcript upon request when the student is "credit deficient" and needs the credits to meet graduation requirements, or when they are taken to meet an A-G

What happens if I fail a class?

It is a misconception that students will repeat a grade if they fail to meet the necessary credit requirements during the school year. At the high school level, students still progress to the next grade level, but remain deficient in credits. Therefore, it is important that students pass their classes to make sure they are on track to graduate within four years. If you are worried about possibly failing a class, please talk NOW with your counselor to discuss a plan of action.

What should I do if my student is failing a class?

1. The first step is to talk to your child. Discuss their perception of what they think the problem is.
Have they been completing and turning in their homework? Does your student understand the
material? How are they performing on quizzes and tests in the class? Have they been attending
class? Sometimes, addressing these simple questions can help the parent see the problem from
the student’s point of view.
2. Use the AERIES Parent Portal. Make sure your student also signs up for the AERIES Student portal.
Using AERIES is helpful to gain information about your students' progress. The AERIES portal
accounts monitor grades, assignments, attendance, and progress. If you have not set up an
AERIES account you may contact Student Services or the Counseling Office for assistance.
3. Talk to the teacher. Communication with the teacher is one of the most important strategies to get
the full picture of your child’s situation in the course. You may communicate through email or voicemail.
Additionally, teachers can also meet with a student at lunch or after school. They are also available
for meetings with the student and parent which you can arrange by emailing them or calling them.
4. Tutorial Resources: Students can get tutoring through various methods including: meeting with
their teacher at lunch or after school, utilizing department tutoring (tutorial calendar available at
lunch or after school in Math and Foreign Language Department), Peer Tutoring (work one on
one with older student, referral through their Counselor), CAVE tutoring (at Chico State University)
or through private tutors.

Are you a student, parent, or community member? Keep in touch with us: